Friday, April 26, 2013

Huntington’s Chorea Disease, True Hope in the Midst of Hopelessness


This story is a little bit long; PLEASE do not let that stop you from reading it.  I promise it is POWERFUL!

Even though our faith had become lukewarm and complacent, life was still going good for us by the world's standards.  In spite of our good life, we were still only going through the religious motions.  I really did not have a healthy dependence on God. There really was not a need for dependence since things were going pretty good, so I thought.  In my mind, I pretty much had things under control by my own power and will. 

I honestly believe that this is the problem with most Christians; life seems good so we forget that we really need God.  Truth is we do not have control as much as we think we do.  Every moment we are one second, one heartbeat, and one breath closer to death.  The strongest Christians I know are the ones who have had their days numbered.  The days are numbered by cancer or some other incurable disease.  It seems when the end of life has become imminent and foreseeable, a sense of urgency arises.  It is then that we have hit rock bottom and realize; we do not have control.  The only hope we have left is God and His mercy.  Family and friends cannot help us, doctors and medicine cannot heal us, and we cannot save ourselves. 

Our family has been given a “hopeless diagnosis.”  My wife Carri and I had been going to the Huntington’s Disease Society of America, (HDSA) Center for Excellence in Saint Louis Missouri at Barnes Jewish Hospital.  For three months, we had been traveling to Saint Louis for a series of hospital visits.   Our first visit, we both had to undergo psychological evaluation.  Our second visit we were psychologically evaluated again and blood tests were drawn. It was during our final visit that we were once again psychologically evaluated to determine if we were mentally and emotionally stable enough to receive the results of the blood test.   The doctor and the social worker both agreed that Carri and I were mentally, emotionally and psychologically stable enough to receive the results of Carri’s blood test.

December 19, 2005 we received our “hopeless diagnosis.” Carri tested positive for the genetic disease Huntington's Chorea.  We sat together hand in hand with tears flowing from our eyes as we heard the doctor say, "I am so sorry, Carri is positive for Huntington's disease."  I could not help but notice that both the doctor and our social worker had tears in their eyes as well. 

For Huntington's Chorea, there is no cure, no medicine, and no treatment.  Within this genetic disease itself, there is no hope.  If you have the gene, you will have the disease.  Each of your children stands a 50% risk of carrying the gene as well.  We have four children.  If they have the gene, they will have the disease also.  Statistically two of our four children have Huntington’s disease and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

You may be asking “What makes Huntington's disease (HD) hopeless?”  It is not just the fact that there is no treatment or cure, it is what the disease does that makes it so bad.  The symptoms of Huntington's are similar to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and psychosis combined.  HD destroys the brains pleasure centers and its positive capabilities such as self-control, happiness, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and such.  The victim is left with anger, rage, depression, hate, frustration, and loss of cognitive abilities, loss of self-control, and all the other negative things you can imagine.  Those ravaged by this disease also lose their ability to physically control their own bodies.  The length of time that it takes from the onset to death can take several years.  That is if suicide or murder does not come first.   Huntington’s disease victims have the highest rates of murder and suicide.  This does not just solely occur with the carriers of the gene, it occurs amongst loved ones as well.  The physical, emotional, and psychological impact is devastating.

As if that is not enough, HD destroys families, marriages, friendships, and jobs.  It ruins anything and everything.  As I said, the victim's brain is robed of everything positive and left with only the negative.  Relationships become hostile and typically fall apart.  Families turn on one another, marriages fail, friends leave, and employers fire.  Most caregivers cannot stand to work with Huntington's patients because of the physical and verbal violence associated with it.  I could go on and on about how bad it is and the numbers of lives that have been destroyed because of it.  I will not.  I hope that what I have said helps you understand how hopeless and grueling of a disease it is.

The first part of our four and a half hour ride home from Saint Louis was in complete silence.  Tears just flowed from both of our eyes.  We both had the thoughts going through our heads about how bleak and hopeless our future had become.  The “good life” did not matter anymore.  I remember thinking “How are we going to deal with and endure what was before us.”  Seriously, we were just given news that was worse than a death sentence.  It was like someone saying "I have bad news and no good news, your lives are about to be destroyed and your suffering is going to last for years.  It is going to affect your marriage, your children, your friends, your job, your neighbors, your finances, and well pretty much everything.  And by the way, there is no hope and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it, welcome to hell."

The silence finally broke after a couple hours.  Carri and I both agreed God was in control.  We knew we had two choices.  The first choice was to surrender to Huntington's disease letting our lives be destroyed and the other was to surrender it all to God.  I do not remember my exact words, but I know I have said this before, "Huntington's does not have to be a monster, and our God is bigger than this.  If God has allowed it, then He will be glorified through it if we are willing to surrender to Him." 

We could no longer live a lukewarm faith just simply going through the motions of religion being complacent with where we were in our relationship and dependence on God.  It was not going to work, not for this.  We prayed and that day we both made a covenant with God.  Our covenant was this, we surrender our all so that you can be glorified through us, let our lives be the proof and evidence of your love.  Use us to reach others so that they may come to know you as well.  We know that true hopelessness only exists apart from you. 

You see by the world's and by medical standards, our lives are without hope.  There is absolutely nothing anyone, any medicine, or any treatment can do.  Nothing can make any of it better or tolerable.  But by the grace of God, He can.  As I write this story, it has been nearly seven years since Carri was diagnosed with this dreaded disease.  In those years, God has taken us to places we never would have imagined.  I can honestly say that we are blessed because of Huntington’s Chorea disease.  Sure we have our hard times and challenges, but God has magnified Himself in and through us in ways I had never thought possible.  Spiritually, we both have been on fire since that day.  God has given us a passion and a hope that just refuses to burn out.  God has taken our hopeless curse and turned it into a blessing.  He is showing the world who He really is because of it.  In the days to come I will be sharing more about what God has done since that time. 

Please allow God to use us to encourage you, not matter what you are facing.  His HOPE is real and true.  Feel free to message me or even send an email.  Our desire is that we can share with others what God has done for us so that they will find the same living hope we have. 

the picture is Carri sharing her testimony about Huntington's disease in Nicaragua, 2011.

John 9:3 "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

May My Life Be the Proof and Evidence of Christ’s Love!

2 comments:

  1. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HIV VIRUS BY GREAT HEALER CALLED DOCTOR IDAHOSA
    Good news to everyone, I am here to testify of the great work Dr idahosa did in my life with the help of his herbal traditional medicine. I have been suffering from HIV since 2016 and ever since then I have been looking for solutions on how to cure it. I have being to different hospitals but I discovered none of them was working out for me that I was just wasting money. So I decided to live everything to God, then I was taking my medications to sustain my life and reduce the pains. So on this particular Sunday morning after coming back from service I sat down and began to ask myself questions, then my phone rang behold it was my Brother calling which I answered the call and he started telling me that a friend of his who has been suffering from same HIV VIRUS has just been cured by Dr idahosa the herbal medicine man. Then I was over whelmed, even though I was a little bit confused so he encourage me to also give Dr idahosa a trial and see for myself then I told he to help me get his contact and forward them to me, So immediately he got the contact of Dr idahosa and send them to me, immediately I contacted Dr idahosa and he told me everything I needed to do to enable me get the herbs for my medications and immediately i did that which he instructed me to do without wasting anytime. And here I am today sound and healthy without any symptoms of HIV or any sickness in my body system. And he also told me that there is no sickness on this planet earth that doesn’t have a cure that with the help of natural herbs he can cure any sickness or disease you can ever think off. So if you are suffering from HIV VIRUS or any other sickness or disease and you need a cure you can also contact Dr idahosa with this Email Address at (dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com) or add him on whatsapp +2348134261542 so you can also receive your healing and share your testimony, God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read through with interest. I once believed Huntington’s Disease HD has no cure. Well, it is true with English medicine, but not with herbal medicine. My Dad's experience opened my eyes to the reality of a cure through herbs. My Father was a vibrant man before his encounter with Huntington’s Disease. He was a scientist, hence his mental capability was never in doubt. In 2015, he was diagnosed with Huntington’s Disease. The symptoms manifested through repeating conversation and gradually forgetting things. It became progressive from finding the right words during a conversation, to significant confusion and abnormality walking. It was not a good experience, seeing your father whose brilliance had no match, totally became a shadow of himself. His doctors said the disease has no cure, just medications for treatment which had a lot of side effects were administered to him. Early 2018, while on the internet, I bumped into a story in HD, and I read about a cure through herbs with interest.. I researched more to be sure it was not a hoax.  In my quest, I contacted multivitamincare org herbs mentioned in the testimony. I got their herbal medicine for my father.. It's been 3 years and he is perfectly okay and back to his laboratory work even at old age. For your loved ones with Huntington’s Disease HD, take them off English medicine and use multivitamincare org herbal treatment,im referring to anybody suffering from this  Huntington’s Disease HD condition and they have assurance about these treatments.

    ReplyDelete